Regular readers and people who may have gone scrolling through might be wondering ‘You know that MetaWrite6000 thing you did? What the hell was that all about?!’
This of course is a fair question and one I will gladly answer.
Prior to the MetaWrite6000 posts my website was in disarray, littered with incomplete stories that had no real semblance of order. I was behind on writing Fell8 and indeed my creativity was at a bit of a lull. I was pretty much on the verge of just saying fuck it and giving up the website.
Then one evening (I probably had drunk alcohol) I thought wouldn’t life be easier if I just could connect something to my brain that would automatically write down all my thoughts.
A quick look on Amazon made it clear this did not exist (or certainly not on Prime one day delivery) but still I imagined how easier it would be for writers if we simply could think a story.
And in that moment of wishful thinking the idea for MetaWrite6000 arrived. A few Jack Daniel’s later and I had a whole project. It was perhaps my intoxicated enthusiasm for the project that led to me ignoring one pretty obvious flaw in my otherwise great plan.
The idea started simple I would create a fictitious neurological aid for writers – The MetaWrite6000.
That was the easy part and I put together the mock adverts and transcripts of early MetaWrite6000 logs.
I also proudly announced on Twitter that I was now powered by the MetaWrite6000. Clearly those who follow me know me too well because no-one really questioned that (or check to see if I was okay)
With the first part of the plan successfully completed (and still unwise to the major flaw that clearly existed) I moved onto Part Two.
This was slightly more complex but the main premise is that the MetaWrite6000 would break my website. I changed my website design and incorporated smashed versions of all my graphics.
I as the author will then end up in some digital coma and effectively be stuck in my website. It was all going to be beautifully meta.
What would then follow is a number of stories where I am the main character. Each story would be broken up with conversations with MetaWrite6000. The conclusion would be my website being put back to normal.
The first story was myself as a stripper forced to give a lap dance to a guy, who if he gets aroused would open the gates of Hell.
There was also to be a story where I would me a Miss Marple type character solving a murder at a country house. There would even be a fantasy adventure where I was not the princess but a warrior goblin.
I would also be paying a visit to Fell8 and Unicorned Squirrels. The idea being that by linking it to my earlier work my entire website would become the story. I could reference the incomplete stories and the out of place posts.
It would become a jumping on point for new visitors to my website and at the end of it should have left it in a better state. Everything would now have a wider purpose of telling a much grander story.
So with alcohol fuelled enthusiasm I set about writing the first part ‘I Meta Girl At The Gates Of Hell’.
I quite like the first part but as it stands it remains the only published part to the wider project.
This is because shortly after publishing the first part that major flaw, you know the one that was pretty obvious from the start dawned on me.
My website had got into the mess it had because I was chaotic which was exacerbated wildly by my work commitments.
Whilst the MetaWrite6000 was an exciting project the chaos and other commitments were still there. I simply could not devote the time it needed to make it work.
I therefore abandoned the entire project before it really got going.
But the early parts still remain on my website as a reminder of the project that could have been.